Kenn Thomas – JFK and UFO

Kenn Thomas is “America’s Best Loved Conspiracy Researcher” (at least to his friends.) The long-time Steamshovel Press publisher’s new book is entitled JFK & UFO: Military-Industrial Conspiracy and Cover Up From Maury Island To Dallas.

We started the program with an examination of mysterious Fred Crisman and his little-known role in both one of the first famous UFO sightings of the modern era, as well as his involvement with men accused by D.A. Jim Garrison in his prosecution of the New Orleans connection to the JFK assassination. Of his new book Kenn says “It focuses on the intertwining connections between the parapolitical world of assassinations and conspiracies, and the ufological subculture, and how they work together even today.” Thomas described his recent listen of a rare 1950s recording of British philosopher Gerald Heard lecturing about scientific attitudes towards UFOs. We then discussed the theory that JFK was killed over a military contract for a jet fighter. The the new Area 51 book controversy was mentioned and the probable fallacy of mistaking a U2 for UFO (although listener Carlos wrote in to say that this was an excuse given to pilots who saw the aircraft while it was still secret.) Kenn also recounted his own UFO sighting at Area 51 many years ago.

Kenn had to go, so Adam Gorightly called and we spent a half-hour talking about the Bigfoot press conference, people who approach us to talk about their UFO sightings, and anything else that came up. Adam talked about his well-known UFO sighting while on LSD, so I had to mention one of my only UFO sightings which happened in Death Valley a few years ago.  We ended with a a discussion about the value of reputation in the UFO field (I say it doesn’t count for much, unless you are respected outside the community.)

This entry was posted in Authors, books, Conspiracies, Government, UFOs and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Kenn Thomas – JFK and UFO

1. JT says:

Another terrific show. Somebody oughta interview Larry Cohen (great b-filmmaker behind The Invaders and God Told Me To) about Chrisman’s claims. Much of his stuff dips into conspiracy theory and politics by way of b-movie mayhem.

Interesting backend off-the-cuff banter with Gorightly. You should have him on to do a ‘post game’ session more often. Imbrogno is no Keel as a writer, but he’s a terrific storyteller and could combine ideas from different sources nimbly. More recently, though, he seemed to switch from “I think” to “I know,” which bugged me more than his nonexistent credentials.

Hey JT,

Good idea. Cohen also directed “It’s Alive” and “Q: The Winged Serpent” which are among my favorite pieces of disasterpiece filmmaking.

I did not know about Imbrogno’s recent descent (as you say) into fundamentalism. Maybe it’s better he quit, although megalomania can be amusing for awhile.

• James says:

Q: The Winged Serpent is at the top of my favorites as well. I also really enjoy his work with Bill Lustig, such as Uncle Sam, which even most Lustig/Cohen lovers seem to hate.

• JT says:

I never saw Uncle Sam, but enjoyed the Maniac Cop films. Q and The Stuff are brilliant on their own peculiar level. He also did an oddball J. Edgar Hoover biopic with Broderick Crawford!

His long string of directing gigs came to an abrupt end when he tried to make “The Apparatus”, which involved a man implanted with a machine on his chest by the CIA that makes him homicidal. And his sister happened to be the publicist Ronni Chasen who was gunned down in Beverly Hills last year under mysterious circumstances and made the headlines everywhere.

2. So *what* was the thing that caused all that massive police mobilization?

Great show. Pretty interesting stuff, including Mr. Gorightly’s part.

Re. Imbrogno, I just learned about it this afternoon while I was listening to the Paracast on my computer. I still don’t know what to think of it; for example, even though I am well aware Carlos Castañeda made up 99.9% of the stuff he put in his books, I still regard them highly as a great source for philosophical and mystical insight.

But then again… it’s not so much the credentials that matter —I’ve always resented people who think only scientists and engineers should contribute to UFO investigation—but the reliability of a researcher in presenting the stuff that appears on his books. Imbrogno kept repeating in his interviews that he knew all about the scientific method because *he* was a scientist himself.

But does that mean we should discard EVERYTHING he contributed to in the UFO field, including the Hudson Valley stuff and his research on djinns? I can’t answer that question.

I know this much though: it would be a real shame if he decides to disappear from the map without giving an adequate explanation.

RPJ,

I never found out what was the big deal with the police action. Maybe it was something to do with the Royal couple in town for the weekend.

I answered your question about Imgbrogno in the show I think. Yes, I at least would still listen to him, but not many others would, and it’s all his fault. I don’t think he’ll ever give an explanation, because I think that he was caught red-handed. Such an unfortunate waste.

This period will hereafter be known as the Imbrogno Imbroglio. I’m trademarking and copyrighting that right now.

Well, I can’t actually, because Lance Moody, who took the time and effort to investigate and expose Imbrogno actually used that as the title of his post on the subject. Oh well. Moody is reportedly not averse to below-the-belt remarks in his crusades, which leaves an even more bitter taste in my mouth about the whole affair, even if he is correct in his research (which it appears that he is, and at least he does the work rather than just fling poop like many others on all sides of the issue.)

• Lance Moody says:

Actually Greg, I didn’t use the Imbrogno Imbroglio title either. The title of my account is “Saucers, Lies and Audio Tape” at notaghost.com.

As far as the below the belt stuff, which is usually how Klass is described as well, I wonder if you have any examples of that?

From my perspective, I give as good as I get. And I get a lot.

Lance

Lance,

Well then I guess I CAN copyright the phrase! Thank you for the clarification. Internet sources are notoriously inaccurate.

As for my “below-the-belt” comment, this is why I used the word “reportedly,” and how I remember my impressions of some online discussions in which you participated.

I try (and I think have succeeded) in controlling my comments to people who get personal. Once the name-calling starts, the debate is over, even if the issue isn’t resolved yet. Emotions have no place in debates, at least as far as I’m concerned.

3. Carlos in ATx says:

Great Show. BTW my Dad worked on the first production F-111A’s at General Dynamics(formerly ConVair, now Lockheed Fort Worth) after he left the USAF in ’67. The ‘V’ in ConVair stands for Vultee. Gerald Vultee was killed in a plane crash in 1938 with his wife who was the daughter of legendary Hollywood art director/set designer, Max Parker. The crash happened near Sedona, AZ near the Vultee Arch in the Coconino National Forest. The Arch was named in their honor. Vultee Aircraft was based in Downey,CA. 33rd Parallel, Dallas 33rd Parallel. Vultee at the time of his death was set to become a major manufacturer of military aircraft, rivaling both Hughes and Lockheed. Max Parker was the art director for the Bogart film, China Clipper, about the development of the first trans-Pacific aircraft. Too many other weird parallels to list about the JFK assassination/ ATX fighter program.

4. Kenn Thomas says:

what the heck does any of this have to do with what we were talking about?

“)

I don’t know Kenn. People comment where they want to, and I really don’t want to start a forum that I have to monitor and worry about refereeing fights and banning idiots. I think I’ll stick with this format for awhile.

5. Kenn Thomas says:

Sorry about that. Carlos’ comments were actually quite apropos and I thank him for them. On the other hand, it looks like Lance Moody gets his jollies harassing people who write books about genies. Get a life, guy. Does anybody really take seriously anybody’s credential claims when it comes to these topics? Don’t talk to me talk to my credentials? A lone nut shot JFK because Bill Cooper’s only credential was as a tax dodger. I’m much more interested to read something by Imbrogno than by Lance Moody (which has to a psuedonym!)