Scott Corrales: Hispanic Ufology and the State Of UFO Studies

Scott has been a friend since the mid-1990s, when I published a report of his on the then-new chupacabras phenomenon. We recorded this show as a phone call on August 8th.

The conversation ranged from the state of UFO studies to the legendary UMMO affair (another subject which Corrales knows well.) We also talked about the differences in UFO study between Latin American countries and the USA, and what Spanish and South American researchers think of their American counterparts. We ended with a reading of a very strange experience from a Spanish abduction researcher, which I requested that Scott read in the original Spanish text. I really liked this.

The song at the end, El Aparto (The Device) is from the Mexico City-based band Cafe Tacuba and is about UFO abduction. Hat tip to RadMist friend Red Pill Junkie for this.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 comments on “Scott Corrales: Hispanic Ufology and the State Of UFO Studies

I know I keep insisting on this every time it’s mentioned, but I still think explaining away UMMO as just an example of “the will to believe” is rather unfair.

Though I don’t challenge the fact that the letters were hoaxes —and some people still believe Peña was aided by some intelligence agency, either the CIA or the KGB— Scott failed to mention the famous UFO landing case of Voronezh in the late 80s; a case Vallee himself mentions at the ending of Revelations, as a way of showing how —as usual— the UFO waters are murkier than we would like them to be ;)

PS: Thx for the shout-out ¨:)

• Good point Red Pill. I’m not sure UMMO is all that cut and dried. Also, I remember when you posted that song Greg played at the end over on UFO Mystic. Great song.

PPS: From the ‘Infiltrados’ passage, what caught my attention the most was the time of the event —close to 3:30.

I’m betting a carton of Negra Modelo the actual time was 3:33 :P

3. gheron on said:

It was the series, and accompanying book, of Arthur C Clarke’s Mysterious World that got me started. I was completely hooked and read that book again and again. I would have been about 12 years old at the time. Interestingly when you asked what links it all together I said “us” out load. Interesting case report at the end (they sound much more exotic in a foreign language). I was especially taken by the description of how he saw something very bizarre, but did nothing and just went back to sleep. How often have we heard this?
    I really hope that abduction research is ready to move on from hypnosis and work with/along side developments in neuro science and quantum physics.

4. Bob Bobson on said:

Anybody else see this one?

5. Bob Bobson on said:

I was pleased to hear Corrales’ comment qualifying use of the terms ‘dimension’ and ‘multidimensional’, even though his criticism didn’t go nearly far enough.

People have been throwing around the term ‘interdimensional’ on the podcast scene for quite a while, opposing it to the straw man of the so-called ETH, which they take to mean ‘interplanetary’, perhaps just because the exopolitical types do.

In all this confusion, the term ‘interdimensional’ is at best a metaphor for ‘extremely strange’. Those who use it to denote something they think is somehow more plausible than ‘interplanetary’ risk making themselves look extremely foolish to posterity when the faddishness of ‘interdimensional’ finally shrinks and fades, or when perhaps something is more commonly known about what dimensions truly are. It’s a bit of a sad joke, really — that one empty term is set up and against another empty term as symbolizing a counter-tradition, a counter-paradigm when both are based on confusion.

6. kandinsky on said:

A few years ago, I asked Scott by email if he’d heard of the Colares events of 1977. Damn if that wasn’t *amongst* the stupidest questions I’ve ever asked. It was like, ‘Hey Stan! Have you heard of what happened at Roswell?’ I can’t now remember the response but it was friendly…maybe diplomatic. :)

I think the difference between one half of the Americas and the other is startling in its scope and tone. In its own way, S American UFO reports are as consistent as those in N America and yet they’re both so distinct. It at least lends support to human factors otherwise the chup chups are respecters of international boundaries and that doesn’t sound right. Conversely, I guess the ‘Greys’ don’t carry passports and that isn’t working either.

A very valid point. Well said.

8. Indridi I. Kaldtsen on said:

I was interested in the more international aspects of the UFO conundrum. Recently I came across yet another UN secretary general, whose name I will mangle, but I think it was U Thant (of Burma?) who made a point of encouraging ET to come forth officially. I believe that makes three UN secretaries general so far, including Waldheim and Hammerskjold, who died in office when he was shot down over Rhodesia or something. Waldheim was forced out because of his hidden Nazi past.

Another interesting area is what Corrales might have called (I don’t remember exactly) Mesoamerica, specifically, the prime minister of Grenada who addressed the UN and called for coordinated scientific investigation into UFOs and the Bermuda Triangle. I don’t believe he lasted long in office after that either.

On the criticism of loose use of interdimensionality, true enough, except it has become a catch-all term to describe a number of things: planes, phases of electromagnetic standing wave/stases, real higher dimensions and alternate universes.

9. What is the story that Greg mentions and Scott says is his favorite? Something about a guy in a tree? They bring it up briefly as an aside and go back to what they were discussing.

• Red Pill Junkie on said:

I believe they were referring to the ‘Colares’ Brazilian UFO incidents of the 1970s, popularized as the infamous ‘Chupas’ or ‘Chupa Chups’ cases —the Café Tacuba song, ‘El Aparato’ seems to be somewhat inspired in these events, as you might recall I pointed it out last time.

I agree wholeheartedly that they make for excellent cases of high strangeness, since you really can’t make out any ‘logical’ intention behind these attacks. If you are a true believer like Steven Greer and his ilk, then how to explain the hostility toward these humble hunters who were staying on top of trees at night in order to claim game that would help them support their families? And if these are ‘evil’ aliens, why make use of such inefficient weaponry, since the ‘beam rays’ allegedly responsible for the victims’ injuries were almost never fatal, and subjected them to a slow and painful convalescence —Jacques Vallee rightly pointed out how a team of US Special Ops Seals or Green Berets using a chopper and a long range sniper rifle would be far more effective eliminating human targets than these strange ‘flying refrigerators’.

In other words, the Colares makes for a delicious head-scratching mystery :)

You can find a lot of information here, courtesy of Kandinsky, a fellow Net marauder I highly respect.

• Thanks RP. Speaking of hunters in trees- are you familiar with the Cisco Grove Encounter from the 60s? There was a book recently published about it. Crazy story.

• Red Pill Junkie on said:

The authors of the book were interviewed this year @ The Paracast. Indeed, a truly bizarre story.

• Did you see my post asking if you’re on twitter or have a blog where you regularly post? I always appreciate your insights. :)

10. Sagacious on said:

I thought the tree case was the Cisco Grove encounter. A man in a tree armed with a bow and arrows held off a group of aliens, including either a robot or a being in a metal suit. Its described here:

There’s also a recent book about it:

11. One last thing RPJ, I looked you up months ago on twitter and couldn’t find you. Do you have a blog where you regularly post or are you on twitter?

• Red Pill Junkie on said:

Nah. I don’t do the Twitter & the Facebook —I don’t want to make it THAT easy for the NSA :P

I do keep some blogs, though. My own personal crib @ The Daily Grail (which hasn’t received too much novel updates lately).

My Red Pills of the Week over at Mysterious Universe; a bit of a Top Ten of Fortean news.

I also write an article a week at the Intrepid blog, a site organized by my compadre Micah A Hanks & Scotty Roberts.

And finally, I’ve contributed a couple of times @ Silver Screen Saucers, the blog of UFO film-reviewer extraordinaire Robbie Graham.

Sleep is overrated anyway, amirite? ;)

@ GW: I did answer your query re. Twitter & Facebook (I’m not in those) and provided links to the blogs I contribute in. Alas, so many links prompted WordPress to be anal, and await Greg’s moderation :-/

13. Sagacious on said:

Its been a while since the last show. I’m beginning to Jones.

• Indridi I. Kaldtsen on said:

Greg said he was going to New Orleans, I hope the nuclear waste/butane-filled sinkhole didn’t vortex him. The front page says Walter Bosley was on on September 9, but it obv has not been posted. Hang in there, Greg, tell the people at the rim you have a puppy and soon the national media will rally to your rescue. You can tell them you were forced to eat the puppy because they took so damn long. :)