Charles Topham: Psychic Questing and Apported Objects

Charles Topham has nothing to sell, no book to promote, not even a website. He simply has an interesting story with implications for all who look to the interactive relationship between human activity and consciousness and the vast subject we call “the paranormal.”

A few months ago, Miguel Romero (aka “Red Pill Junkie”) wrote to tell me about Charles, and his story of “psychic questing,” which is a concept that is virtually unknown outside of the UK. The basic story is that from the late 1970s to sometime in the mid-to-late 1990s, small, private groups in Britain began meeting to use seances, ouija boards, and other methods in order to locate hidden objects of apparent historical importance, such as swords, precious stones, and documents. The practice is intimately connected with the rich history of English magic and folklore.

Miguel served as co-interviewer as Charles described his interest in UFOs and other out-there subjects from an early age, including apparent communications with non-humans by radio (a’la contactee George Hunt Williamson.) In the early 1990s, he formed a group with a few friends and began their own questing sessions, eventually establishing contact with an apparent entity calling itself “Addie,” who self-described as a young teenage girl of the Victorian era.

Addie began “apporting” objects to the group which responded to the whims of questions from different members, such as photos, books, divination cards, and even precious stones. When I asked Charles early on if there was any chance of fraud, he said “I didn’t see you there,” which was his way of saying “From outside the confines of the group, of course.” We discussed these issues and the fact that hoaxing or faking is an intimate part of much of these phenomena, but does not explain all of it, a concept that is admittedly difficult for some to accept.

I choose to listen without making sharp judgments. Things just seem more interesting that way, and whatever your beliefs, we hope you find Charles’ story worth hearing.

Image above: A Egyptian divination card that Charles says was apported during one of their sessions with “Addie,” and which recently formed the nexus of a personal synchronicity.

LISTEN/ DOWNLOAD

This entry was posted in art, occult, parapsychology, Radio Misterioso exclusive and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Charles Topham: Psychic Questing and Apported Objects

1. Very intriguing stuff! I have had a few apports, and I do think on a much smaller scale they have a common mechanism to the sudden appearance of spaceships or UFOs in our skies.

Great show!

Hello there Susan
      thank you for the thumbs up and for the ‘great show’ !

It made my day .. thank you.

Our group was repeatedly shown apports in a playful way, it was if something had a playpen full of excitable kids and was trying to teach us something .. in a very lateral way of thinking.

On hindsight there would appear to be some structure , some guidance in it all. I could be wrong but it does seem that way.

By my own admission I AM an apport junkie, I saw all the third year school physics turned upside down, and that was just around a farmhouse table.

It was so intense, so mind boggling that it’s taken me twenty years to assimilate the experiences, to put space inbetween them and explore any and all possibilities, they why’s and how’s etc etc … I’m no better off though 🙂 lol

For me, an apport, a materialised UFO, consciousness and so on .. they are all related, interconnected and not always in a cause and effect way.. a causal seems to be more like it.

once again … thank you !
      Charles

2. Martin says:

How wonderful to revisit what was great memories, time and experiences. Each of us still to this day carry a little of Addie rug with us. Nice to hear you again Charles.

Martin !!
      Nice surprise 🙂
      I think that at one level we all had a part in being Addie, we sort of knew it at the time but it seems more so on hindsight ?
      Good to hear from you and thank you for the kind thoughts …
      Best
      Charles

3. Paolo says:

Fantastic interview. I have always had so much time for Psychic Questing and the researchers involved.

Good morning Paolo ..
      thanks for that !! We don’t know each other but we probably have mutual friends … PQ is such a small world and even after all these years .. it’s still misunderstood and it’s significance to PSI , myth and initiation is undervalued.

It’s also just fun to be in to 🙂

Thanks for the thumbs up …
      Charles

4. Corvinus says:

I’m not sure if it was that it seemed like the continuation of an unrecorded conversation or simply Mr. Topham’s style but this is one of the most non-linear interviews you’ve hosted…I found it hard to follow at times and it seemed like in a few cases there was more time spent on tangential lead up than the actual event or point being made! Still found it interesting…i found myself wanting to know quite a good bit more about some of the people and research mentioned.

I have often said that the full implications of psi phenomena are not given anything close to the amount of consideration they are due as related to UFOs and other strange occurrences. PK and apports imply a fundamentally plastic universe where matter, energy, time and space are not at all what physics understands them to be. In light of this I can’t understand why there even needs to be a distinction between ‘nuts-and-bolts’ and the more ‘paranormal’ views of the UFO phenomena. Given a universe where psi is real the phenomena can simply materialize whatever it wants wherever and whenever it wants. And ultimately maybe that phenomena is us in some way that we cannot understand from our current perspective.

One thing of interest here was Mr Topham’s mention of the fact that apports always occur when the players ‘weren’t looking’. This is an extremely interesting piece of the puzzle that I’ve noticed recurs over and over in a variety of ways. Having done some spoon bending experiments I can say that the effect happens when you essentially put the activity out of your mind for a brief moment. This ‘forgetfulness’ is also an element of sigil magick. In some types of physical activities, peak performance is achieved when you ‘get out of your own way’ and don’t consciously think about the steps involved.

To me it implies that our mental state – specifically our attention – acts as a sort of block or valve of some sort to control the malleability of reality.

• Charles Topham says:

I’ve tried to post to you before and it didn’t want to send it … I haven’t been ignoring you 🙂

Your observations were very much appreciated and reading in between the lines I suspect you have quite a bit of experience in these matters ??

Your comments were appreciated and crystalised a few of my own thoughts … much appreciated.

Best

Charles

5. Robert Brandstetter says:

Really like the comment above…great insights especially regarding what happens when we put the focus out of our head, when we diminish our will.

On a symchronistic side note, the last time I heard that closing song was with the group of people I used to ouija with back in the day.

This episode made we wish we had continued that group to see where else it could have gone but when we all got threatened with death we called it quits. Ahh….ouija lore – there’s nothing quite like it.

• Charles Topham says:

In all my Ouija board shenanigans I was never told I would die, never threatened or anything like it … and I have no idea why ??

Some of the reason we had the results we did was because we were following a pattern laid down before us, it was set up by previous people, Hunt Williamson and the Green Stone groups … left to our own devices it might have been different ?

I love the Robyn Hitchcock version of the song .. I take it you were listening to the Pschedelic Furs ??

Best
      Charles

6. Wayne Frostick says:

I loved the show, having been involved with the psychic questing movement myself, the show really struck a chord with me. Charles is such an intelligent and insightful guest and his enthusiasm really comes across. It sounds like you have only just scratched the surface of the amazing stories that Charles has to tell, and I would love to hear further interviews with him discussing some of these in more detail!

Wayne …
      many thanks for the five star Amazon review !!!

There are many more stories, not just mine but from the dozens of people that were involved over decades .. they still go on probably, it’s not all about the old days ???

Radio Misterioso has many shows which throw light on PQ and PSi generally, it’s worth rooting around in the archives if you have the time??

All the best

Charles

7. Bill says:

b”h
    Not long before dropping by here at Radio Misterioso to see what’s up, I’d viewed a youtube vid about two Navaho Rangers, Jonathan Dover and Stanley Milford, Jr., who as law enforcement officers on the Navaho Reservation encountered all kinds of paranormal phenomena, including apports (which I’d previously thought of in terms of “materializations”). Anyway, they describe unsought paranormal activity, including apportations of coins that would fall to the ground and always wind up “heads”. One of the officers collected more than 60 coins that had materialized out of “thin” air, some of which he had witnessed. You can view their remarks on apports here:

The entire vid is interesting, as these officers also describe encounters with shapeshifting skinwalkers, UFOs, orbs, bigfoot, etc. The first thirty minutes of their lecture makes clear that they were well-trained as law enforcement officers. They also mention that for some of the cases they requested the assistance of Bigelow’s group, as well as some US three-letter agency.

So, in light of this, Mr. Topham’s testimony of requesting apports is something similar.

Dear Bill …
      great minds and all that !!

I only discovered that documentary a few weeks ago and it was like being plugged in to the mains .. over here in the UK it’s 240v .. quite a shock when you get it :o)

That documentary is more use to research than the Skin Walker film just out, it delivers straight out research with no drama and all investigated to the highest standards too, every incident investigated like a crime scene … it gives me hope.

My father was a policeman and he was ex army … there’s a certain sort of humour that comes out of all that and the two Navaho rangers have it by the bucket load … I’d love to meet them.

There are so MANY things in the presentation to assimilate, to try and comprehend and so on … it certainly bears watching once a week for a year I feel !!
      The apports they had followed them home … THAT intrigues me, psychic activity appears like a contagion at times, like a virus, polts follow people around from one house to another, the same sort of apport can too apparently ??
      Our apports as a group and all the others that came to me subsequently, rings, gemstones and crystals .. all were a gentle thing, there was never a poltergeist association with them … I admire the officers for their sense of calm because sometimes you have to take a deep breath when these things snowball ??

Good hearing from you Bill, any more bits you’d like to pass on please contact Greg and he can pass them on maybe ??

Best

Charles

8. https://www.docdroid.net/IakgChi/you-will-get-precognition.pdf
    I saw a big black triangle craft so close I could have hit it with a rock! I didn’t dare take my eyes off it. There is no fuselage. Someone saw an insignia on the bottom and described it online. Someone else recognized it specifically as US space command – Airforce space innovation center out of colorado. Maybe these things are time traveling? Maybe they can morph through the 5th dimension? Enjoy my new “conversational” style blogbook on my own experiments into the ether. I have corresponded with quite a few relativistic quantum physicists about this stuff – Brian Josephson, Basil J. Hiley, and quite a few more. thanks.

9. David says:

I have to admit I was really looking forward to hearing all about this, but I could only bare to listen to it for half the show. As one comment above said, Charle’s way of explaining what he did, how it all came about and what the stories were, were essentially non-linear and I found it so confusing to understand what the heck he was taking about and were we where in any timeline, place or story, I couldn’t listen anymore, which is a shame, as there were many areas that intrigued me. Might of been helpful to have the hosts rein the guy in a bit and direct the conversation more, as like I say, Charles was all over the place. But thank you for doing these podcasts, they’re great.

• Charles Topham says:

David, what can I say but to apologise to you …

After the first listening I was reminded of that immortal line delivered by Lord Melchitt when he said,
      ‘Black Adder you twist and turn like a twisty turney thing’ !!!

One of the problems is that my life was never linear David .. none of these things happened in a neatly packaged presentation, even to this day after writing down so many notes and so on, the ONLY way it came together was to get an easel with a huuuge piece of paper on it and map it all out with lots of arrows, bits of string and postie pads.

It looked like a crime investigation !!

This is of no use to you as a listener and I really AM sorry … it’s the first chance I’ve had to tell the story of our group and I should have been better prepared ?

There is a version on WDTRG which you might interest you ..
      I really don’t think I’ll be doing any more to be honest.

My apologies

Charles

10. George Kanakaris says:

Thanks for playing Jimi .Great Show.

11. Ian says:

Hi Charles,

I found your mention Morse ‘communication’ on the show very interesting. There have been some Morse EVP attempts in the past few years with varying results…

Like you I’ve been interested in all aspects of radio for at least 40 years, and have a G4 call sign and worked professionally in the reception of signals LF right through to the Ku satellite band.

I would very much like to communicate further regarding your reception of the strange Morse signals – particularly the fact that they acted as if they were coming into the set via the IF.

Ian
      thanks for getting in touch .. oddly enough there’s another query about the radio’s IF from a G4 over here in the UK.
      Basically it was a huge transistor radio and it took two big 9v batteries as I recall, it was my dad’s an I’d carefully scratched a few small marks on the dial where Caroline had been , Radio London and City too.

Using the ouija board to ask the questions we received the morse over the whole radio .. no tuning around to find it it was five by nine and almost a pure sine wave.
      My idle speculation years later was that it might have been on the same frequency as the IF because it was everywhere, gave us what we’d asked for and then stopped.

After receiving D.A.D a few times I was so shocked and so was my friend who was doing the board with me .. not scared mind you, just shocked.

At that time I had a BC348 with the converters and a 19 Set , the aerial at home was a long wire over the roof and down the garden … I’d received a few things which I thought were from people pranking at the time !

Please ask Greg to forward any further e mails you have I’d be happy to chat ?

To be honest I was really hoping another radio freak might get in touch 🙂
      Best
      Charles

• ian says:

Hi Charles,
        I’d be happy to chat about radio/evp/ouija via email, but I can’t find Greg’s contact details for him to forward my email to you.

Greg,
        Please forward to Charles my email from the email box used to complete this form. Thanks.

Ian

12. Susan Shayler says:

A great interview, all the better for being a bit non-linear. After the first phase of Psychic Questing ended it was continued by the North Wales Psych[ic]ogeographical Network (NWPN) and documented in their newsletter, all issues of which have been compiled into a single PDF available for free here: https://mrmarkreeve.blogspot.com/p/related-text.html

Hi there
      the ‘first phase’ ??

It never ended … just because there were no big books and conferences doesn’t mean it ended at all.

It went underground that’s all
      C

• Susan Shayler says:

I did not mention “big books and conferences” and don’t judge the activity via these means. By the first phase I mean the Phillips-Collins et al axis and the Earthquest group, that did come to an end in the 1990s, when the second phase arose, that was epitomised by the Neoist Alliance, the London Psychogeographical Association and the North Wales Psych[ic]ogeographical Network, who were mostly questing for things other than junk/antique shop items. And if psychic questing “went underground” then how do you know about it? Who are you referring to?

13. Janet Winslow says:

Hi Charles,

I would very much like to contact you regarding the unconventional Morse signals you heard – as if on the same frequency as the receiver’s IF, and thus untenable. I’m a retired broadcast engineer and G4### .

Janet !
      thank you so much for getting in touch … coincidentally another G4 has been in touch today.

Well … we did the ouija board and asked the question:
      Can you put morse code on the radio ???
      Using the board to reply it said yes, I asked for ‘D’ and got it.

Now this was a big old transistor radio with tiny marks I’d put on the dial to find some of the old pirate stations Caroline North, City and Radio London.
      When I asked for D.A.D we got it and we didn’t have to look for it because the whole radio was alive with it, wherever you tuned it was there and on Long Wave, Medium too.

From memory it was pure sine wave and it repeated the D.A.D three or four times. We were shocked but not too scared … it was almost exactly the repeat of the George Hunt Williamson story.

At that time I had a BC348 with converters and a 19Set and I’d heard odd things on that too ..
      Please do send an e mail to Greg and ask him to forward it if you wish ??

73’s Charles

Good evening Janet
      I have tried to reply to you but it has a robot thingy which has been playing up for some reason !

I’ve not done any broadcast engineering and I defer to your experience and so on … as a fifteen to sixteen year old my knowledge was limited to an old BC348 rx and a 19 Set, I built regen/super regen receivers and so on.

The rx used at the ouija session was something like a Roberts radio … small scratch marks on the dial where Radio Caroline North and Big L had been, oh yes City and RNI too.

I assumed that because the whole radio was belting out CW then it must be at the IF frequency ??

Odd things had appeared on my BC348 before … they faded in and swamped the rx and faded out … like some demented form of commercial morse ..definitely not over the horizon radar though.

Please contact the Misterioso e mail address and I’d be more than happy to chat to you about it all ??

It makes me feel old thinking about it …
      Best