Aaron Gulyas: The Chaos Conundrum

Aaron’s newest book is a collection of essays on many of the subjects we cover here on the show. I admitted up front that I hadn’t read all of the book, but Aaron was gracious about it and we dove right in. I guess neither of us really should have had any worries, as the show was great fun.

Among other subjects, we delved into ufological stalkers, the de-evolution of UFO study into an “echo chamber,” and the infamous book “Trance Formation Of America” and its shocking indictment of beloved folk/ country singing star Boxcar Willie.

When I asked what interested him in writing about the paranormal, Aaron eloquently said that he was basically “trying to restate the question in a more interesting way,” which might be the best description of why anyone writes about these subjects that I’ve heard in years.

This entry was posted in all-around genreal weirdness, Conspiracies, Fortean, Ghosts, ufology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 comments on “Aaron Gulyas: The Chaos Conundrum

1. Gheron on said:

Always enjoy hearing from Aaron. Was also amused to hear the works of Ayn Rand and Cathy O’Brien mentioned in the same interview .” One is a self deluded fantasist, whose books should be approached with extreme skepticism and the other wrote about her experiences with mind control “- bada boom – I’m here all week.

On a more serious note the recent revelations around Jimmy Saville, Max Clifford and Rolf Harris have made this whole bizarre area seem a bit less fringe. However , I suspect the forces driving these crimes are much more mundane, but no less, or possibly more, disturbing, than the narratives emerging from the world of conspiracy research.

To lighten the mode again
    Here’s a little youtube vid that I think Greg and the listeners will find funny.

• Greg on said:

Good one!
      I read up on Trevor and Simon. Funny guys.

Also more proof that no one born in the US was ever named “Trevor” and almost never “Simon.”

[Comment stripped off URLs because WordPress sucks donkey balls]

Awesome as usual :)

But I feel Aaron needs to chillax a bit about his fondness with Forteana; it’s almost as if it was some dirty guilty pleasure for him –and I guess in Academia it is, but it’s way too late to back off now, dude! :P

The idea of experimenting irrational, visceral fear is fascinating. It reminded me of what Mike Clelland & his friend experienced inside their tent. I’m pretty sure there probably is some kind of ‘fear-inducing weapon’ involving infrasounds in the works –maybe these poor folks of the town of Windsor, Ontario, are the test subjects without their consent.

The idea of an ‘academic cover-up’ to keep OOP objects or historical anomalies under wraps is silly. But I think Aaron should acknowledge that Academia, like many institutional, hierarchical communities which demand a lot of hard work to climb, works on ‘auto pilot.’ Meaning members are already conditioned to ‘filter out’ troublesome data without any authoritative intervention needed –”If it ain’t peer reviewed it’s not worth my time!”

What better example than Gobekli Tepe in Turkey? People think the site was discovered recently, but it was first noticed in the 60′s! It was only after Klaus Schmidt decided to take a better look at it in 1994 when the Academic community had their HOLY-SHIT-THIS-IS-AMAZING-STUFF! moment.

I loooove the idea of aliens being ‘post-language’ beings. Makes me think of a Terence McKenna quote Greg Taylor recently quoted at The Grail:

“So you burst into this space. It’s lit, softened lighting, some kind of indirect lighting – you can’t quite locate it. But what is astonishing and immediately riveting is that in this place there are entities – there are these things, which I call “self transforming machine elves”…and then they proceed to sing objects into existence. Amazing objects. Objects that are Fabergé Eggs, things made of pearl, and metal, and glass, and gel; and you, when you’re shown one of these things, a single one of them, you look at it and you know, without a shadow of a doubt, in the moment of looking at this thing, that if it were right here, right now, this world would go mad. It’s like something from another dimension. It’s like an artifact from a flying saucer. It’s like something falling out of the mind of God – such objects do not exist in this universe, and yet, you’re looking at it.”

It makes me think of the use of Semiology & symbols in order to transmit as much information as possible in the least amount of time –maybe without the conscious awareness of the recipient!

Speaking of Led Zeppelin, Greg, did you know they’ve been accused of fraud for several of their most famous songs?

PS: If Gorightly is still interested in Mansonology, tell ‘im to listen to Episode 2 of the Talking Out my Ass podcast by Christopher Ryan. In it Chris narrates his trip to Alaska when he left college, when he met a very interesting guy who told him a jaw-dropping story.

• Greg on said:

I always liked McKenna’s ideas. Sorry I never got to interview him. His experience seeing an Adamski saucer in the Amazon Jungle always makes me wonder and makes he happy.

I know Zep has been sued many times for lifting phrases and whole songs from other musicians. It was olde tyme sampling!

Gorightly is probably off Manson, but I’ll tell him.

• Indridi I. Kaldtsen on said:

It is new, indeed, for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities; and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon.

3. Anon on said:

Since these shows are only being uploaded about once every month..I’m just happy to have a new one..no matter what the subject matter. Greg could be discussing the benefits of drinking your own urine..and I’d still be listening..because he’s THAT good and interesting.

Now if someone could direct me to an online recorder so I could record all his shows that I miss due to having to work insane hours..I would appreciate it. And thanks for the upload Mr. Bishop. =)

4. Phil From Louisiana on said:

Anon: vlc, which I use to listen to the stream when I have net access and remember to do it, has an option for recording streams, but I always get things wrong when I try. YMMV.

5. Eric on said:

Another great show from the inestimable Greg Bishop! Gulyas is an excellent interview subject, eloquent, articulate, and thought-provoking. Just finished reading THE CHAOS CONUNDRUM and it’s definitely worth a look. (I reviewed Gulyas’ EXTRATERRESTRIALS & THE AMERICAN ZEITGEIST for Openminds.tv, by the way.)
    Also: Gulyas mentions your show with Walter Bosley and Ralph Coon, and it occurs to me that Greg might have Ralph Coon’s contact information. I’m in the planning stages of a Gray Barker biography and would love to get in contact with him.

6. Indridi I. Kaldtsen on said:

Jay Weidner skeptic detected (Eric)

7. So what is this Xedo’s New Friend book about? This is the first I’ve heard about it.