Mike Clelland: The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Owls figure prominently in abduction accounts and literature, and Mike Clelland has become the point man for this aspect of the phenomenon. Mike is a very talented illustrator (most notably for Mac Tonnies’ Cryptoterrestrials.) He is willing to entertain almost any theory for why strange experiences seem to happen to him and many others.

We may have provided ourselves a template for whatever is causing the abduction mystery, and Mike and I discuss this possibility and many others during the program. We also talked in depth about Mike’s personal experiences as well as unique synchronicities, which may be clues to glimpses of another level of reality above or next to or coexistent with ours. While I remain unconvinced that the majority of “abductions” are happening as reported, I am reasonably certain that we have been involved for millenia in some sort of interaction with an intelligence that is not us.

Mike’s thought-provoking blog (and associated podcast) is called Hidden Experience.

This entry was posted in abductions and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 comments on “Mike Clelland: The Owls Are Not What They Seem

It’s funny that Mike mentioned how MUFON has failed in trying to extract valuable metadata from their massive report files, since just last week one of the biggest stories in the Fortean blogosphere was this PhD candidate at Penn State called Joshua Stevens, who decided to encode 92 years of Bigfoot sightings into an infographics map:

I commented how unfortunate it was that nobody inside the Bigfoot community had decided to do this before, and how it had to be a complete outside who saw an opportunity no seasoned Bigfooter did. Although I was taken to task somewhat –BRFO does have a Google map with a layer of sightings– I still stand by my opinion that merely pin-pointing the reports on a map is not enough. Couldn’t we extract some meaningful extrapolating data from the sightings, like (possible) seasonal behaviors or ecological trends?

The idea of exteriorizing wishes is very compelling to me. Just recently in the Paracast Gene & Chris interviewed Jan Harzan, the new executive director of MUFON, who told how his life-long interest in the topic was cemented by a sighting of a craft when he was a child. Now the interesting thing about this, was that before the sighting he & his brother were toying with the idea of constructing an anti-gravity propulsion system, and then later he bought a magazine with an article stating how UFOs were often sighted near locations where anti-gravity experiments were tested.

Now obviously a couple of kids wouldn’t be able to perform any useful experiments, but nevertheless young Jan couldn’t help wonder “Maybe we’ll also watch a UFO.” Some time later, BOOM! There it was: a highly reflective white object that seemed just a liiitle more advanced than the current 1960′s technology. When Gene asked him whether he thought the sighting was some sort of staged manifestation, Harzan denied it; in his mind, what he observed was extraterrestrial technology, and he needed to devote his life in trying to understand how it functioned, for the benefit of mankind.

By the end of the day, I think that Jeffrey Kripal is right when he wrote on Mutants & Mystics that paranormal phenomena are better understood in narrative terms, rather than empirical ones.

2. Sue Johnson on said:

Hey Greg,

I was just listening to your Hopi sunset photo experience. Sounds like a common nighthawk. They’re quite disconcerting, partly because they’re silent. I’m guessing the habitat would be right; I’ve seen them in Sonoran desert environments generally. Not saying it wasn’t mystical or synchronistic. Birds often are. Plus it IS from the goatsucker family.

Thank you for another very interesting interview.

3. dia sobin on said:

Re: Owl mythology

“In the Middle East, evil spirits took the shape of owls to steal children away — while in Siberia, tamed owls were kept in the house as protectors of children. In Africa, sorcerers in the shape of owls caused mischief in the night. To the Ainu of Japan, the owl was an unlucky creature — except for the Eagle Owl, revered as a mediator between humans and the gods. In North America, the symbolism of the owl varied among indigenous tribes. The Pueblo peoples considered them baleful; the Navajo believed them to be the restless, dangerous ghosts of the dead. The Pawnee and Menominee, on the other hand, related to them as protective spirits, and Tohono O’Odham medicine singers used their feathers in healing ceremonies. When we turn to Celtic traditions we find that the owl, though sacred, is an ill omen, prophesying death, illness or the loss of a woman’s honor.”

- Terri Windling, from her (beautiful) blog – “Myth & Moor” – page: http://windling.typepad.com/blog/2013/09/birds.html
    (link via the Daily Grail).

4. Indridi I. Kaldtsen on said:

I haven’t seen an owl in forever, knock on wood.

I was probably 5 when Kolchak started appearing. I was allowed to stay up late, once, and watch it, and was terrified, and my parents never allowed me to watch it again. I think it was one of those deals where my father was lenient, but my mother didn’t appreciate the nightmares and forbade me, so my father had to go along with that. Streets of San Francisco also terrified me at that time.

I saw there was a list of Kolchak the Night Stalker episodes on wikipedophilia. If it was autumn when Mike missed that episode, I’m guessing it was either episode 2, “The Zombie,” which aired September 20, 1974, or episode 3, “They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be…,” September 27. My guess is that it was the latter, even though Michigan turns cold earlier than the rest of the United States, of course, and Mike made it sound as if it were still warm.

I would like to suggest to Mike he watch that episode he missed then now. It is available on thepiratebay (dot ess ex). I will do the same. If there is an Owl in Daylight that appears, I will be quite suprised. Nice show, made me remember those days. I miss them.

5. Excellent show, been hoping for an appearance from Mike on Radio Misterioso for a while. The two best UFO related podcasts on the net as far as I’m concerned. Looking forward to Mike’s Owl book.

6. Indridi I Kaldtsen on said:

I watched the Kolchak episode you missed, Mike. It’s about UFOs. I then, the next day, saw an actual live “Chinese lantern” by daylight. Worth one owl in the trade.

7. Anna Maria on said:

Greg,

Please keep posting your Sunday shows here weekly..because too many of us are missing your live shows due to not being able to stay up that late. But come on..a whole week should be enough time for you to post just one show here..right? Like it or not..you’ve got show fans..so please please please don’t be lazy and post your shows WEEKLY for us. Thanks, papito! =)

Besos,
    Anna Maria

8. Catching up with all the old shows after a 6 month hiatus from Forteana… have you talked to Chris O’Brien about your interest in the Zuni tribe? He’s friends with Clifford Mahooty, a Zuni elder, and has had him on paracast. The whole way they’ve codified their history in an oral tradition is fascinating, and interpreting that information from a different cultural (not to mention language) point of view could make an interesting discussion.

Oh, and it goes without saying that any time you talk to Mike Clelland it’s always a joy to listen.