Tim Binnall: Are We Finally Bored With UFOs?

Tim and I spent a couple of hours last Sunday talking shop about paranormal radio, the futility of the “disclosure” movement, and Tim’s plans for a new paranormal conference. We also discussed James Randi, Tim’s favorite interviews from his show (the guest who says Hitler escaped to Argentina was one of his favorites) and when UFO research died.

The takeaway quote from our latest two our conversation was a winner: “The longer you’re in this, the more you have the ability to shut off caring.” Perhaps we’re finally both tired of the same stories and the same ideas which have gone nowhere. Alternatively, we both notice that he present wave of new blood seems to be more anti-ET than ever. In this there may be some hope.

Other subjects discussed: The decline of abduction research compared to the breakup of the Beatles, the end of the world, Bigfoot and UFOS, and difficult guests we’ve had. Enjoy!

P.S. I continue to try and repair my streaming issues. Nicecast seems to be spotty right now. If anyone has any advice, please write to me.

This entry was posted in all-around genreal weirdness, conferences, Fortean. Bookmark the permalink.

21 comments on “Tim Binnall: Are We Finally Bored With UFOs?

1. http://code.google.com/p/darkice/

You two need to issue a public apology to Ringo Starr Right. Now! :P

Good show. And Tim’s conference sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Since I got my shiny new passport and American Visa, I need to make the most of it, Kukulcan willing ;)

PS: About the Ray Stanford show —a.k.a. the infamous Radio Misterioso ‘Bullshit’ episode— I really need to interject here and say the story has been kind of growing like a good ole fisherman’s tale. I’m not trying to defend Ray, who did act in his usual caustic manner, but he only said ‘bullshit’ twice to Walter, at the most.

It’s not like I’m trying to be anal about it, but I think it bears to be mentioned since one of the things we often discuss at RM is how the perceptions of past experiences get distorted due to a number of factors, and how that has an effect in paranormal research.

• I have a great deal of regard for Ray Stanford. I thought he went overboard yelling at Walter, but I actually stopped Walter from escalating things out of respect for him. He’s done a lot of hard work in the UFO area, whether you agree with his methods or conclusions or not, which is a damn sight better than most. No disrespect at all meant or implied to Ray. I hope his films and photos eventually get released to the public so that they can perhaps be scrutinized by an honest and non-dogmatic group of researchers.

3. Bob Bobson on said:

Good interview. I’d have been interested to hear what podcasts Binnall values or listens to — if any.

Re: the boredom with UFOs theme. I’d simply say that you probably wouldn’t hear this coming from abductees. People like Binnall or Bishop or any other non-experiencer are bound to take all this on some level as entertainment — i.e. the campfire story syndrome. There’s nothing wrong with that, and it’s fully appropriate if you’re not experiencing crazy shit directly on a regular basis. But it has its limitations.

For me, all that it takes not to be bored with the subject is thinking for a half-second that this stuff is real. That there are intelligences out there, that we’re glimpsing a wild and totally other type of Creation. Boredom gone. Like the old saying: “a mind once stretched cannot go back to it original dimensions”.

I suppose though if you are “in” this field, and you go to the conventions like these two have — having to meet the countless crazies, hucksters, and freaks in person, the level of distaste from these tangible encounters would be enough to kill any sense of wonder.

• Red Pill Junkie on said:

I think Tim’s disenchantment with UFOs stemmed from a (deluded) hope that Disclosure was about to happen. As he found himself immersed more than ankle-deep in the field, it started to dawn on him how unreasonable those early pretenses were.

So now Tim has to deal with the ontological crossroads everybody in this field —who is not in it for economic or religious reasons— has to deal with sooner or later: how to find enjoyment and personal growth via the UFO mystery despite the fact that in all certainty you’ll die without finding a final answer.

• Greg on said:

RPJ,

Exactly!

• Bob Bobson on said:

Well… I can’t help disagreeing here.

The reason is that the UFO mystery takes place right alongside all the other mysteries that comprise our lives. We might think that we know something about the world around us, but when it comes down to it, all the old mysteries still stand: childbirth, love, death, God, purpose, etc., etc., etc.

The way I see it, we’re awash in all these mysteries. The UFO topic just informs those mysteries, another small handful of pieces to a puzzle that extends in all directions without limit.

So in that respect, I can’t really fathom how a ‘disclosure’ event, which would just be some sort of fleeting social moment, could ever make any difference when it came to the *ultimate* meaning of UFOs. As a temporary cultural phenomenon, sure. And if you’re geared up for a temporary cultural phenomenon (Super Bowl, presidential election, movie release, etc.) then there’s nothing wrong with being disappointed. But confusing the two — disclosure with ultimate answers — doesn’t make any sense.

My disagreement isn’t so much with the assessment that Binnall’s disappointment was along these lines. I guess I’m disagreeing with the premise that all the UFO phenomenon can represent is some sort of fatalist ennui. — Naive hopes vs. fatalist ennui — it’s a false choice.

• Red Pill Junkie on said:

>”But confusing the two — disclosure with ultimate answers — doesn’t make any sense.”

I think we’re in agreement here.

When we are children we crave for easy answers, and we want them NOW. As we grow older, we realize that the answers just create more questions. That’s what fuels our journey, and only with wisdom do we realize that the Journey IS the destination. We Humans are in a permanent state of Becoming.

That’s why many of us are of the opinion that the Disclosure movement is inherently immature. They think it’s an end in itself, and many of them wish for it for all the wrong reasons: entitlement, free energy, etc.

… Not that I haven’t dreamed with yelling “I told you so!” to all the people who mocked me for my UFO hobby :P

• Greg on said:

Bob,

If you like, you can read my thoughts on the UFO subject at UFOmystic. It has provided me entertainment, intellectual stimulation, a chance to think about our place in the universe, how we interact with and treat each other, the limits of our present scientific thinking and human psychology among many other subjects.

You’re right. I am bored with many of the personalities and BS. The fact that I still do this show is some sort of indication that the title of this post was a bit bombastic. The subject still interests me. It’s just getting harder to find anything that stretches my mind anymore. It can still be found, if you look.

And you are also correct that I might feel differently if I had ever seen or experienced something that I couldn’t explain. Actually I have, but both times the objects were so distant that they did not affect me very deeply.

4. Paul Kimball on said:

The question isn’t whether we’re bored with UFOs, but whether they’ve become bored with us.

• Red Pill Junkie on said:

Well, they keep showing up, putting the same light shows and giving the same messages to abductees and contactees –what’s that they say about insanity? ;)

PS: Nice to hear Best Evidence is available on Netflix.

• Bob Desnos on said:

Why is that the question?

5. Sagacious on said:

The interview was engaging. I listen to Tim’s show regularly, so it was nice to hear him on the other side of the mike. But I did have difficulty hearing him at times. There seemed to be more technical difficulties than normal.

6. PurrlGurrl on said:

Enjoyed this and other shows I’ve heard. Can’t listen live, but starting to listen regularly at a time when I can. Love the freewheeling style and no-holds barred discussion. It’s like sitting in a cafe and overhearing the most fascinating conversation coming from the next table.

7. Ethel on said:

Great stuff as ever Greg, I always enjoy hearing Tim & yourself just chatting about life, the universe & everything.

Yours & Tim’s shows have been constants in my esoteric listening ‘portfolio’ for years and provide a quizzical and thoughtful look at all the weird sh*t that’s out there.
    I, too share a somewhat jaded oulook on the whole UFO thing in particular & can’t help but think that those who are pushing so hard for disclosure are on a hiding to nothing.
    At risk of opening up the whole conspiracy theory box of worms, I reckon that governments of whichever flavo(u)r <<sorry, I'm British ;-) will never reveal a whole lot, if anything because:

a) chances are they just don't know

& b) the whole phenomenon makes for a fantastic (and free) smokescreen behind which to hide all their new & outlandish toys – the glaringly-obvious example being the infamous Area 51 of course.

Anyway, that said I genuinely wish the best of luck to the hardcore disclosure community.
    There are some highly intelligent & likeable characters within their ranks & maybe we'll be surprised one day but I'm not holding my breath..

Thanks again Greg & best wishes.

PS, perhaps it was because I was concentrating so hard on trying to make Tim's voice out from the robotic bit-rate mush but am I right in thinking that for the first time in ages there were no emergency vehicle sirens joining in the fray this time or did you have the windows shut..?(!)

• Greg on said:

Ethel,

Re: No sirens – Just got unlucky, I guess.

I agree with your assessment of how much governments know about UFOs.

Tim is always fun and we have become good friends since I was first on his show a few years ago.

8. matt on said:

sorry i’m off topic but…. gimme more Greg! Give me that stuff, that funk, that sweet, that funky stuff! Been trawling your archives and can’t wait for more gems from the past! Any more Karla Turner shows hidden in the depths of your drawers?

Thanks again for producing a great show! Enjoyed your presentation the other day for the alternative universe conference, chance of a follow up on your show?

Also got a top 20 songs you play during breaks etc?

Keep up the greatness!

• Greg on said:

Matt,

Will be posting the Paul Kimball show in the next day or so, and then the Richard Sarradet conversation from last week as well in a few days.

Thanks for your patience.